Hi all,
I am very happy to announce that this week my group and I will be meeting our Refugee. His Name is Hayder and he is from Iraq. I am excited to meet him but also a little nervous. My hopes for this service-learning project is to make my refugee more comfortable in his transition from his homeland to the United States. If he has any question that he needs answered, I can help him with that. If there is a language barrier, I will do my best to help him adapt to the English language. However, I also think it is important that he communicates with us about his own culture so that we can relate to it. My assumptions about the service-learning site is that it probably is not a fancy residence to most Americans. However, I feel that to immigrants it may be much more than what they are used to in their previous country. It is probably your average apartment complex. I assume that World Relief Moline serves refugees who come from low SES countries. For example, African countries and countries who are in danger, like middle eastern countries. Passions I can make about this project and the population it serves is that I love to help people. I think that when you are interested in something you are more likely to have a positive impact on people because you actually want to be there. I think the population will benefit from this project because they will be getting the opportunity to meet and connect with different people. Hopefully this project will help families "come out of their shell" and help them with transitioning to a very different lifestyle than probably what many of them are used to. I am looking forward to the opportunity to positively impact their lives in whatever way I can!
No comments:
Post a Comment